Severe storms can cause landslides, flooding, uprooted trees, and downed utility lines.
- Tune to KHNS 102.3 FM for emergency advisories and instructions.
- If water has entered a garage or basement, do not walk through it – it may contain hazardous materials.
- Do not try to drive over a flooded road. If your car stalls, abandon it immediately. Attempting to move a stalled vehicle in flood conditions can be fatal.
- If you are asked to leave your property, disconnect all electrical appliances.
- Do not walk through moving water. Six inches of moving water can make you fall. If you must walk in water, walk where the water is not moving. Use a stick to check the firmness of the ground in front of you.
- Stay clear of water that is in contact with downed power lines.
- Do not allow children to play around high water, storm drains or any flooded areas.
- If you are asked to leave your property, shut off electric circuits. If advised by your local utility, shut off gas service as well.