In the event of a natural or man-made disaster, emergency shelter(s) will be opened as needed and will be announced by the Command Center. Opening an emergency shelter will be in coordination with the local school system, SE Alaska Fair board, and the local government. Emergency shelters are intended to provide temporary mass housing for persons displaced due to disaster. The shelters selected will be those most appropriate depending on the impending or occurring event. The intent is to return evacuees to their normal living arrangements as soon as possible.
Primary Emergency Shelters
- Haines Borough School Facilities
- Harriet Hall - Southeast Alaska State Fairgrounds
Secondary Emergency Shelters
- Local Churches
The following are general Shelter Rules that will be enforced to protect all evacuees.
- Evacuees must sign in, and agree to it’s rules before being officially admitted to any shelter.
- Evacuees are responsible for their belongings. Valuables should be locked in cars, or kept with the evacuees at all times. The shelter is not responsible for lost, stolen or damaged items.
- No weapons are permitted in the shelter except those that may be carried by security personnel.
- No alcohol or illegal drugs are permitted in the shelter.
- Parents are responsible for controlling the actions and whereabouts of their children. Children should not be left unattended.
- Noise levels should be kept to a minimum during all hours of the day. Quiet hours are observed between 11:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m.
- “Shelter Hopping” is not permitted.
- Please notify the shelter registrar for referral to the paramedic for any medical condition or medications. Note: Assistance in keeping the shelter neat and orderly will be greatly appreciated.